Thursday, June 21, 2012

Just Chillin'...


Here we are, the second day of summer, and Connecticut is experiencing its first heat wave of the season. The temperature was 97 degrees yesterday (about 15 degrees above normal!), and they are predicting a high of 100 degrees today.

So where do the residents of Glastonbury find relief? Well, that depends. If you are so inclined, and have the means, you can join one the the private swim clubs in town. Minnechaug, Pinebrook and Orchard Hill all offer swimming facilities as well as tennis courts. Glastonbury Hills has the added advantage of offering an 18 hole golf course.

The town has four official recreational swimming areas open to the public. These include Glastonbury High School Pool (indoor), the Grange Pool, Addison Pool, and Eastbury Pond.

If you are like me, and over-chlorinated cement ponds do not appeal to you, then you will want to check out Cotton Hollow Nature Preserve. This is, by far, my favorite place in town to find relief from the summer heat. This 80 acre parcel of land was once home to numerous mills and factories during the 18th and 19th centuries. Some remnants of the past still remain. As a kid, my dad and I would scout for slag from the old iron works.




Cotton Hollow is now home to unspoiled woodlands, lots of wildlife, and of course, Roaring Brook. This fresh water body of water runs through the preserve. As you make your way down the trail, you will hear the water before you see it. Most of the trail is flat, but be prepared to walk over some roots and rocks.

The trail will follow along the banks of the brook. There are numerous opportunities to climb out on the large rocks and dangle your feet in the water. If you want to swim, there is a naturally formed swimming hole and beach area located at the bottom of the main falls. I can't think of a better place to chill...

Click here for more information about Cotton Hollow!



1 comment:

  1. EVERYBODY READ THIS TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM A LEGIT AND TRUSTED LOAN COMPANY My name is Kjerstin Lis, I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts, everyone I met scammed and took my money until I finally met Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee He was able to give me a loan of R 450,000.00.He also helped some other colleagues of mine. i am talking as the happiest person in the whole wide world today and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will tell the name to the whole wide world and i am so happy to say that my family is back for good because i was in need a loan to start my life all over as i am a single mum with 3 kids and the whole world seemed like it was hanging on me until i meant the GOD sent loan lender that changed my life and that of my family, a GOD fearing lender, Mr, Benjamin, he was the Savior GOD sent to rescue my family and at first i thought it was not going to be possible until i received my loan, i invited him over to my family get-together party which he did not decline and i will advise any one who is in genuine need of a loan to contact Mr, Benjamin Breil Lee via email at (lfdsloans@outlook.com ) because he is the most understanding and kind hearten lender I have ever met with a caring heart. He doesn't know that i am doing this by spreading his goodwill towards me but I feel I should share this with you all to free yourself from scammers, please beware of impersonators and contact the right loan company Email us via: lfdsloans@outlook.com   or whatsapp +1-989-394-3740.  .  

    ReplyDelete